Sudden Death in Cats and What Causing It - Having a pet is a nice thing many people like. And cat is reaching the top list as the most animal taken as the pet. They can entertain us and befriend with us on almost any day. Therefore, where suddenly our cat dies, our feeling must be crumbled as we lose something we treasure very much.
Although death is something unavoidable, as a good pet owner, it’s necessary for us to learn what causing the sudden death in cats. By learning the cause, we will know what might happen to our cats so we won’t be too shocked if it happens. Let’s find below the most causes of sudden death in cats.
1. Heart Muscle DiseaseHeart Muscle Disease or also called Cardiomyopathy is the most common cause of cat’s sudden death. This disease can cause the cat to die by damaging her heart muscle so it cannot function well. Commonly, this disease is suffered by any cat whose age more than 6 months.
Unfortunately, the cause of this disease is still unknown. However, there is a factor that might influence the cat to get sudden death. It is gene factor. To check whether the cat has this disease or not, our vet will examine our cats’ heartbeat by performing echochardiogram and x-rays process.
2. Feline Heartworm DiseaseAfter heart muscle disease, the next cause of cat’s sudden death is a disease called feline heartworm disease. It’s caused by a parasite worm names Dirofilaria Immitis. If this worm has reached cat’s heart, it can be ensured the cat will die soon.
The worm Dirofilaria Immitis is spread through mosquitos that bring the worm’s germ. The symptoms we might see from the cat with this disease is high-frequent cough and vomiting, decreased appetite and weight. So, if your cat has those symptoms, it’ better to take her to the vet as soon as possible.
3. Feline Infectious Enteritis (FIE)The next cause is feline infectious enteritis (FIE) or feline parvovirus or feline panleucopenia. This disease caused by virus infection that can make the cat suffers from anemia, diarrhea, and vomiting. If this virus attacks the cat before she gets vaccination, the death possibility can be 25% until 85%.
This disease is contagion in cats. The spreading is through physical contact or genetic factor. If you find your cat gets this disease, take her soon to the vet to get proper treatment and to prevent its spreading to other cat.
- Cat Asthma: Learn the Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- Several Ways to Communicate with Your Cat and Understand What the Cat Says to You
Aside from those common 3 causes of cat’s sudden death, the cat can also suddenly death because of food poisoning. Hence, we should pay attention more on what foods our cat eat. Also, we need to ensure she gets proper vaccination. Let’s care more to our pet, then.