The Most Common Causes of Drastic Weight Loss in Cats - One of the most common problems in todays’ cats is obesity that compels many cat’s owners to give healthy diet to the cats. However, what would you do if you find your cat having drastic weight loss? Or you know that your cat eats a lot but her weight is not increasing? Learn below the most common cause of drastic weight loss in cats.
The Most Common Causes of Drastic Weight Loss in Cats
1. ToothacheToothache or other mouth problem can be the cause of weight loss in cats. Because of mouth problems, your cat lose her appetite and doesn’t want to eat. The other signs of toothache in cats is mucous coming out from their mouth and they keep touching their mouth with their paw.
Hyperthyroidism is a condition where the thyroid gland produce too much of the hormone thyroxine. The symptom when a cat has hyperthyroidism is weight loss, increasing water consumption, high frequency of urination, increased activities, vomiting, diarrhea, and muscle fatigue.
3. Stress or Depression
Stress gives different effects in each sufferer. In cats, stress or depression can affect their weight. They can lose weight because of losing appetite or stopping to eat. Many things can make the cats stress such too noisy environment or sharing foods with other cats.
4. DiabetesWeight loss is very common symptom of diabetes. This is caused by the failure in producing insulin or decreased ability in responding insulin. The other symptoms of diabetes in cats are excessive drinking, weak, urine tract infection and sweet smell of breath.
5. Intestinal ParasitesIntestinal parasite can also cause weight loss in cats. If your cat has intestinal parasites, she will also get diarrhea, flatulency, vomiting and hard breathing. Take the cat right away to your vet when she shows those symptoms.
6. Internal Organ DisordersWhen the cats become older, the possibility of having internal organ disorders is big. Some of their internal organs might be decreased or even failed to work. Such condition will cause the cat loses her weight. If your elder cat loses weight drastically, she might have kidney failure or heart attack. This kind of health problem in cats can only be known clearly upon blood test or urine test.
7. Digestion Problems
Another common cause of weight loss in cats is digestion problems such as intestinal inflammation, foods allergic, and infection. Another symptoms that your cat might have digestion problems are diarrhea, lost appetite, and vomiting.
More: Few Signs of Cats That Will Die Which You Need to Know
8. CancerThe last cause might be the most terrifying cause of weight loss in cats, but it is possible. Of course not every cat that lose weight drastically is having cancer, the cat with cancer will definitely lose weight drastically.
Alright, that’s all about the most common causes of weight loss in cats. We hope it can be informative enough for you cat lovers. Thank you for reading and have a bright lovely day with your beautiful cat.