How to Treat Ear Mites in Cats or Get Rid of Ear Mites in Cat - Do you know, taking care of cats is not only limited in feeding them with proper cats’ foods, bathing and brushing them regularly? You also need to meticulously notice some parts of the cats’ body, for example their ears. Why? Because their ears are prone to get ear mites.
Ear mite is a kind of flea that often attacks the cats’ ears. The most common flea found in this case is Otodectes Cynotis. This flea is commonly found in the ears’ canal surface, but it might be found in another parts. Although the effect is not directly fatal, but if this flea ignored, it will cause serious ear disease in cats.
How to Get Rid of Ear Mites in Cat
1. The evidences of the Cats with Ear Mites
- Cats like to shake their heads
- Cats often claw or scratch their head so you will find reddish spots around the ears or some wound in the ears
- Cats’ earwax is blackish brown, dry like coffee ground. Sometimes you may find crust in the inside of their ears
- Unusual odor that can be smelled from afar
- You find ear mites
2. How the Cats Can Get Ear MitesEar mite is very contagious and passed from one pet to another in physical contact at home or when they play outside. This problem is often found in cats although it can be found in dogs as well. Bu you don’t need to worry yourself because human is usually not affected by ear mites.
3. The Effects of Ear Mites in CatsEar mites are very disturbing in cats. They cause irritation and inflammation in their ears. On further case, it will cause ears’ infection until hearing loss. Beside found in the cats’ ears, ear mites can also live in their other body’s parts and causing skin’s disease.
4. Ear Mites’ MedicationYou can easily find medication for this ear mites’ problem. Many kind of medication in the form of eardrops or injection. For the eardrops, you can buy them online or in any pet shops. This eardrops should be continuously given within 2 – 4 weeks until all ear mites are eliminated. The lack of using this eardrops is that if the ear mites also attack another body’s part, you have to buy different medicine.
As for the medication in injection form is only available in the veterinarian. The common type give is avermectin (ivermectin, selamectin, and many more). In order the ear mites can be fully eliminated, the injection should be repeated within 2 weeks.
More: How to Keep Your Cats Healthy and Happy
If you have more than one pet in your home (for example: rabbit, hamster, or civet) you must include all of them in this medication so the ear mites can be really exterminated.
Okay, cat lovers, now you’ve known about how to overcome ear mites in cats, right? Hope everything is fine with your cats. Thank you for reading.